(20 May 2017 - 11:38 PM)Haven't watched any of the UK stuff (including the two-day tourney), but I love the look of that belt. And I REALLY hope Dunne wins tonight. Or actually, I don't care if he wins, I just want to see him on the main roster exactly how he is now.
I really enjoyed DDP's stuff, I skipped the Rock and Roll Express, the Warrior Award and only saw part of Rude. I did see the final hour or so with Beth and beyond. Really liked seeing Molly Holly, there's a person I've never heard a bad thing about.
We just got Mercedes-Benz Stadium, it's almost finished, can't wait for an event there. The Braves Suntrust Park also just opened for TNA and company to run one of their basebrawls, lol.
Anthem Sports & Entertainment Forms Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC, Acquires Control of IMPACT Wrestling
Toronto, Canada (January 4, 2017) – Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp. today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire a majority interest in TNA IMPACT Wrestling, and has formed Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC. Anthem also owns Fight Network, the world’s premier 24/7 multi-platform channel dedicated to complete coverage of combat sports, which is IMPACT Wrestling’s exclusive broadcast partner in Canada and worldwide digital partner.
“We are thrilled to have acquired TNA IMPACT Wrestling,” said Ed Nordholm, Executive Vice President of Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp., the parent of Fight Network. “As we grow Anthem’s linear, digital and mobile platforms globally, top tier content with global appeal is key to that success and this acquisition is a perfect strategic addition to our portfolio. IMPACT has been a dominant wrestling brand around the world for more than a decade and we are confident that Anthem can leverage its assets and strategic partnerships to take IMPACT Wrestling to even greater heights.”
Mr. Nordholm, who has been the managing director of the IMPACT Ventures Board of Managers since October 2016, will assume the position of President of Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC. Dixie Carter will resign from her position as Chairman of Impact Ventures and join the Advisory Board of Fight Media Group, which holds all of the combat sports-related assets of Anthem, where her focus will be on the global growth of the combat sports-related brands owned by Anthem.
I think at this point they should switch the name, it looks like it might be possible with them dumping TNA/IMPACT Ventures and forming Anthem Wrestling.
WWE held a press conference this morning at the 02 in London, England, featuring Triple H announcing that the first ever WWE UK champion will be crowned the weekend of 1/14/17-1/15/17 via a two day tournament that will air live on the WWE Network.
The 16 competitor tournament will take place in Blackpool, England (hometown of William Regal) at the Empress Ballroom with tickets going on sale today. The venue can hold upwards of 3,000 fans.
Welcome @McGuinnessNigel to the @WWE as part of the @WWE UK Championship Tournament! @WWEUK pic.twitter.com/BjVq87vla1
— WWE (@WWE) December 15, 2016
At the press conference, it was announced that former Ring of Honor champion Nigel McGuinness will be working as the co-host at the tournament, announcing with Michael Cole.
This explains Ring of Honor's abrupt announcement that McGuinness had resigned as ROH Matchmaker. There had been rumblings over the last 24 hours that McGuinness was going to work a 30 day tryout as a guest coach at the WWE Performance Center, but obviously WWE had a different role in mind for McGuinness. McGuinness was a regular announcer for ROH TV before being shifted over to the Matchmaker role.
Earlier this week, ROH sources initially attempted to describe the McGuinness exit to PWInsider as a potential move back to commentary. As it turned out, that move was for WWE. We are told ROH was not aware of any potential McGuinness exit until over the past weekend and they obviously were not happy about any of this, hence the abrupt dumping of him via their website announcement. McGuinness, 40, was not under a ROH contract.
The WWE signing of McGuinness provides, finally, something of a happy ending for the former ROH champion. As documented in his film "Last of McGuinness", he was offered a WWE deal in September 2006 but the deal was pulled after he disclosed a previous biceps injury during a medical pre-screening. Although his own doctor had felt the injury was healed and was safe for performing in the ring, WWE's doctors instructed him to undergo a surgery to repair the old injury. Not being financially able to afford the surgery, McGuinness declined and WWE pulled the deal. He went on to work for TNA and as it turned out, the injury was never a factor again. McGuinness' career would instead be curtailed after he came down with Hepatitis-C (something he has been cured of) and he retired at the end of 2011 as the door to WWE was obviously closed. In his film, McGuinness, sometimes in heart-wrenching fashion, came to terms with his dreams of working for WWE not happening as he settled into retirement.
During the conference, the implication was the UK championship tournament broadcasts could lead to regular WWE Network programming from the UK, similar to how the Cruiserweight Classic led the way to 205 Live. The move to create programming from the UK is obviously a response to ITV filming a pilot (featuring WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross as the lead announcer) in advance of a potential series.
The interesting back story there is that WWE has, over the last several years, attempted to purchase the pro wrestling-related material from old ITV World of Sport library for their own use, without success. World of Sport was a sports anthology series that ran for 20 years on ITV and regularly featured pro wrestling personalities and matches from Europe. When the decision was made in 1985 to cancel the series, it crippled homegrown pro wrestling in that region for many years.
In 2013, John Chapman licensed and filmed a World of Sport TV pilot that ITV opted not to pick up. The online attention to that pilot led to WWE reaching out to ITV in 2014 to open communications about purchasing the library. The acquisition never went down, but those two events may have started the process of ITV opting to launch their own pilot taping earlier this year - and with ITV seeking to lock in talents for the series, WWE is now playing leapfrog by announcing their own tournament with the idea of a regular WWE Network series being the carrot to catch their own crop of European talents.
With the rebirth of the European wrestling scene in recent years headed by promotions like PROGRESS Wrestling, Rev Pro, Insane Championship Wrestling and others, there is a massive wealth of pro wrestlers who, as of today, will be in more demand than ever.
Talents announced by WWE for the tournament this morning include Trent Seven, Jack Starz, Pete Dunne, Wolfgang, Roy Johnson, Sam Gradwell, James Drake, Jordan Devlin, Tyler Bate, Joseph Conners, Tyson T. Bone, HC Dyer, Dan Moloney, Chris Tyler, Saxon Huxley, Ringo Ryan, Tiger Ali and Tucker. Two competitors will be alternates.
As noted a few days ago, the news got worse for TNA as they lost their deal in the UK. Challenge announced that TNA would no longer be airing on their station beginning on 1/1/17. It’s a big blow for TNA because they rely on their UK and India TV deals as their only source of major revenue.
The Challenge deal was worth somewhere between $1 million and $1.5 million per year. So, they are down to the Sony Six deal in India that pays them $5 million per year. They also have a deal with Super Sport in Africa but that deal brings them less money than the Challenge deal. The declining ratings and the person that was the main backer of the Impact Wrestling show left the station so that is why they chose not to renew them. If their ratings did not drop so much in the last couple of years then it’s likely that they would have been renewed in 2017.
TNA apparently had known for months that the Challenge deal was in trouble because they were looking to talk with other networks. They had a meeting a couple of months ago with Premier Sports (a pay channel) but the station looked into their situation and declined their offer to put TNA on their channel. One of the things they saw was how TNA management handled the cancellations from Spike TV and Destination America. The declining UK ratings also played a factor in their decision but the people at Premier Sports were told a while ago by TNA that the show would be available in January and they’d be off Challenge. Things could always change but it doesn’t look like they’ll be on that channel and there’s no word on where they will land, if they get picked up at all.
Their deal on Sony Six in India can be canceled at any time since the terms of the deal call for TNA to tour India at least once a year. They canceled last year’s tour and they have not toured there this year. I’m interested in finding out Pop TV’s reaction to seeing the legal situation between Billy Corgan and TNA. The Pop TV deal is a barter deal so it’s low risk for Pop but the ratings are far below expectations.
Well, you guys in the UK might be without soon, and it looks like their revenue stream is drying up, hope Anthem likes losing money, at least at first. Looks like they are going the ROH route, though, taping and airing on their own stuff.
I tend to agree about it being the best wrestling show they put on right now. Now, WWE has this three hour show to produce and put on, I don't see why they can't take a page from WCW and use the first hour to try things, WCW tried Cruisers, recaps and stuff in the first hour to see if that would lead to higher views in the final two... of course even that didn't correct their ship...
So I'd like to see them take hour 1 or 2 and make it the cruiserweight hour and see if it performs on par, worse or better than the rest of the show.
So... perhaps you don't know but WWE suspended Roman Reigns for a wellness violation, he's gone 30 days.
My problem is the reports that they knew ahead of time, let him lose on Sunday(I'm good with that.) and instead of writing him off or ignoring him for 30 days, they brought him out on RAW and made a main event match with him for Battleground, which just happens to be a few days after the suspension ends.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Jerry Lawler was arrested at his home Friday morning by the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office in Memphis, Tenn.
According to a police report, Lawler and his girlfriend, Lauryn McBride, were taken into custody and booked on alleged charges of domestic assault—bodily harm, a misdemeanor.
WWE has zero tolerance for matters involving domestic violence, and per our policy, Jerry Lawler has been suspended indefinitely following his arrest.
Adam Rose got off with his, although he also got fired... Wonder if they'll fire Jerry Lawler, I'd guess no because then JR and Lawler would be free to go wherever as a team and they would keep their names.
The NFL also saw declines this week. I can't find the original source article I was working with right now, but the scary drops towards the record lows have been coming since Night of Champions. They were slow drops until NoC then they hit record low territory afterwards. I felt more like that was a hatred for the booking of the show and how Rollins was beat clean and then beat Sting, making Sting look weaker than Rollins despite them having a good match considering Stings spinal injury.
The source and I hope to find it by going through my history later also said that when football comes on they see a drop, but this year it's an almost 20% drop, and that includes the female category dropping more than usual, a fan base they are hoping to grow. It also mentioned the NFL is down this year as well as all television.
Personally I think it's time to put Nielson Journals out to pasture and switch to fucking real time analytics, you know cable boxes are capable of it, the ToS for ours says they may collect real time data and report it back to ATT for purposes of On Demand and PPV Recommendations, etc.
He did gloat on RAW, John Cena came out and basically called him a pussy because he doesn't put his title on the line every week like John does. I assume Cena and Rollins is a knee jerk reaction to falling ratings.