Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox

The Great SrH : (20 September 2018 - 08:50 PM) For some reason i still pay for it haha. I may have some time for a tidy up soon
KingOfMyWorld : (20 September 2018 - 07:24 AM) We fought the spambots for a while, they just became more and more numerous, it was like deleting their shit told them somebody was here to see their shit and they sent more bots...
Jeff : (19 September 2018 - 08:07 AM) It's possible but I never check in anymore becuase nothing's popping. The board itself would have to be cleaned up big time.
Philip C. : (04 September 2018 - 09:30 PM) Do you reckon we could get this place active again?
KingOfMyWorld : (19 August 2018 - 01:47 AM) The internet is just weird without these boards... Facebook and the like just aren't the same...
Jeremy : (06 August 2018 - 05:11 AM) How bout them Golden Knights indeed :) Be well yall!
Jeremy : (06 August 2018 - 05:10 AM) Guys hiiii
Jeff : (29 July 2018 - 03:11 AM) Howdy
KCC : (08 June 2018 - 10:51 PM) Spend most of my ever decreasing online time over at the F4W/Wrestling Observer board these days
KCC : (08 June 2018 - 10:49 PM) Hope yall are doing well <3
KingOfMyWorld : (01 June 2018 - 06:12 PM) So... how about them Golden Knights...
The Great SrH : (27 May 2018 - 05:52 PM) Hey...still checking in every now and again haha
Jeremy : (27 May 2018 - 03:10 PM) :hi:
Philip C. : (29 March 2018 - 10:07 PM) You can get an ipb skin too haha. Theres a cool trophy system included too
KingOfMyWorld : (29 March 2018 - 07:05 PM) https://xenforo.com/community/ It's a spinoff of Vbulletin
The Great SrH : (24 March 2018 - 06:53 PM) Yeah probably. Never seen Xenforo tho?
Philip C. : (23 March 2018 - 01:11 PM) I have a licence....
KingOfMyWorld : (22 March 2018 - 03:45 PM) Doesn't Xenforo have a license higher than IPB? I think it did at one time.
Philip C. : (22 March 2018 - 01:16 PM) SrH would you consider changing from ipb to xenforo?
KingOfMyWorld : (21 March 2018 - 02:49 PM) Why is there a d-bry gif when it doesn't work and just shows a yes smilie. <_<

Photo
- - - - -

MAME Emulation/Home Arcade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy

Jeremy

Reeeeeebbbbbbeeeeelllllssss!!

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:09 AM

Anybody have any experience setting up their own home arcade machine(s)? Arcade meaning games found in a traditional arcade, standup boxes, joystick, 3-6 button setup, etc.

I haven't before, but I'm looking at doing that soon. Working on getting all the software right now, most notably MAME emulation. If you're anything like me, you have emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy and maybe a little dabling in N64 and PSX. Until recently I hadn't even heard the term MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator). 

I'm working towards a complete romset of the current version of MAME, which is the primary arcade machine emulator... something like 150,000 roms in total. I'm a little over half way, but likely to give up before long. If anybody has insight on this end of things, let me know please. Lots of complexities in MAME emulation that don't exist in traditional emulation. I want to end up with basically the top 50 arcade games on a single box, but I also am a completionist and want to have every rom working, jsut for the sake of it. Though that's less important than getting the top 50-100 to work flawlessly.

In addition to getting the software to work fully, which is already quite a task, I have to think about a machine to dedicate to it (which isn't an issue, since these emulators can run on about anything these days), a monitor (also not an issue), and joystick setups (2-4, most likely USB). Most importantly, I want to build the cabinet (or modify an already existing one) so that the unit actually fits the idea of an arcade machine, not just a computer with an emulator.

Anybody take on anything like this? Input? Thoughts? Ideas?

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:47 AM

Oh! Something else I want to do, but am not really sure where to start....

You know when you go into an arcade (or even some console systems have a game like this) and there is one machine or game that has several games on it? I want to do that.

I want to choose like 5-10 games that want to put together and load to a screen that has like a user-controlled rotating list of games on this particular machine, and when you go up or down (or left/right, depending on layout) the imagery in the background or on one side of the screen changes and reflects the new game. I might have to find some kind of example, cause I'm overexplaining this. Anybody know what I mean?

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:53 AM

MAME Front Ends.

http://www.koenigs.d...mefrontends.htm

YES!

#4 KingOfMyWorld

KingOfMyWorld

The King of Kings

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:55 AM

Before my Raspberry Pi died it could do older systems, SNES, NES, Sega. I forget what it was I used though. I'm pretty sure I was using this: http://www.emulationstation.org/ but I don't remember real well, I've since gone back to PC and Consoles. 

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:02 PM

I'll look at the link and I've done a little digging around Raspberry Pi, but I figured on running it through Windows from the get go. Had a brief curiousity of doing it with Android and allowing for that library to be playable, but it seems like a less-than-worth-it idea.

#6 KingOfMyWorld

KingOfMyWorld

The King of Kings

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:36 PM

That link I posted they have a Windows Installer too, I downloaded but haven't tried it yet. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users