Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox

KingOfMyWorld : (27 November 2017 - 10:45 PM) I'd watch a best of seven of that...
Turn_The_Page : (27 November 2017 - 02:12 AM) me too
Jeff : (23 November 2017 - 11:10 PM) I really enjoyed it!
Turn_The_Page : (20 November 2017 - 09:47 PM) Brock/AJ, how about it
Jeremy : (12 November 2017 - 07:24 PM) http://www.education...s.com/home.html
Jeremy : (12 November 2017 - 07:24 PM) Related http://tvtropes.org/...oGame/RealLives
Jeremy : (12 November 2017 - 05:53 PM) https://www.reddit.c..._download_this/
Jeremy : (12 November 2017 - 04:14 PM) I'm interested! I can't find a download link,got a host? (Methinks yes!)
KingOfMyWorld : (12 November 2017 - 04:38 AM) Yeah, I meant to come back and say that, it's still in my games folder.
Jeff : (12 November 2017 - 03:49 AM) i found it! It's called Real LIves, we were all playing the 2007 version.
Jeremy : (10 November 2017 - 11:58 PM) I don't htink I ever played that... sounds interesting though!
Jeff : (08 November 2017 - 12:34 PM) Does anybody remember the name of that text based game some of us played that started you as a baby in a random country and you had to live and make choices and such?
KCC : (28 October 2017 - 06:14 PM) Glad you're alright buddy
Jeremy : (11 October 2017 - 04:46 AM) Lol good call, slightly ghastly here. Hope some of you hockey lot take a bit and watch the pregame ceremonies from the home opener for VGK. Wonderful stuff. Also, UNLV football had an outstanding tribute on Saturday... ended up getting crushed on the field, but the ceremony was great. Do yourselves a favor and check em - ESPN probably has them on dot com :)
Turn_The_Page : (10 October 2017 - 01:56 AM) glad to hear you're ok!
KingOfMyWorld : (06 October 2017 - 09:20 PM) Are you sure you aren't a ghost... I mean this is a ghost town...
Jeremy : (06 October 2017 - 02:02 AM) I'm alive guys :) Still wonderful to be in Las Vegas
KingOfMyWorld : (06 September 2017 - 08:28 PM) Anthem already wants out of wrestling according to Sports Illustrated and PWInsider confirms... dun dun dun...
KingOfMyWorld : (06 September 2017 - 02:44 AM) The more things change at TNA... the more they stay the same...
Jeremy : (26 August 2017 - 08:20 PM) We had about a 70% eclipse in Vegas, but it was storming so it was dark anyway and we didn't see the sun that day :(

Photo
- - - - -

Xbox One Mega Thread

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Philip C.

Philip C.

Technician

• VIP Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Looks like the specs for Microsoft’s new Kinect unit have leaked online, courtesy of VGLeaks.

According to the report, the new improved Kinect will sport an increased field of view and a higher depth range in order to allow up to six users to play at once. This is facilitated by a 70-degree horizontal and 60-degree vertical field of view, which is up from 57.6 and 43.5 on the current units.

Thanks to this the new Kinect model will not need to tilt in any way. It should just see everything that’s going on in the room.

The sensor has also been beefed up, according to the report, returning a full HD resolution colour stream at 30 frames per second. That compares favourably to the current unit which returns just 15fps at lower resolutions.

The new Kinect will also be able to recognise whether players’ hands are open or closed, provide better skeleton tracking thanks to improved joint detection, and offer tailored options for standing or seated players.

It has previously reported that the new Kinect unit will ship with every next-gen Xbox console.

All of which is kinda cool. We’ll wait for official confirmation, and more importantly some quality games to play with the thing, before we get excited. Full specs below.

KINECT 2 SPECS
Field of View: 70? horizontal by 60? vertical
Resolvable Depth: 0.8 m -> 4.0 m
Colour Stream: 1920 x 1080 x 16 bpp 16:9 YUY2 @ 30 fps
Depth Stream: 512 x 424 x 16 bpp, 13-bit depth
Infrared Stream: 512 x 424, 11-bit dynamic range
Audio Capture: 4-mic array returning 48K Hz audio
Data Path: USB 3.0
Latency: ~60 ms with processing
Tilt Motor: No tilt motor

ORIGINAL KINECT SPECS
Field of View: 57.5? horizontal by 43.5? vertical
Resolvable Depth: 0.8 m -> 4.0 m
Colour Stream: 640 x 480 x 24 bpp 4:3 RGB @ 30fps640 x 480 x 16 bpp 4:3 YUV @ 15fps
Depth Stream: 320 x 240 16 bpp, 13-bit depth
Infrared Stream: No IR stream
Audio Capture: 4-mic array returning 48 Hz audio
Data Path: USB 2.0
Latency: ~90 ms with processing
Tilt Motor: Vertical only
[via GI]

#2 Philip C.

Philip C.

Technician

• VIP Members
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

I liked the Kinect at first but the novelty wore off pretty quick. I have kinect games here, sports & adventure but not played in over a year.

#3 KingOfMyWorld

KingOfMyWorld

The King of Kings

• Admin
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

I have a major problem with this, Microsoft patented the idea to use Kinect to monitor you while you watch tv or play games on the thing along with a pay per person scheme for video content, this is too big brother for my liking and very creepy when you think about it since it was already said a year or so ago that the Kinect sensor is wanted to look at you while you play and determine how to tailor ads to you as well, I am not a fan of this let me watch you society.

It'll really suck if the rumors are true that the Durango won't even turn on if the Kinect isn't plugged in and working.

#4 Philip C.

Philip C.

Technician

• VIP Members
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Rumours I read are all consoles will ship with Kinect

#5 Jeff

Jeff

FIGHT OWENS FIGHT

• Admin
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I don't like the idea of the camera that's connected to the internet looking at me. I'll pass.

#6 Trey

Trey

When Gotham Is Ashes Then You Have My Permission To Die

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Sounds like this is the real use of them "watching you", not just monitoring you for shits and giggles.

http://www.digitaltr...y-capabilities/

Posted Image

#7 KingOfMyWorld

KingOfMyWorld

The King of Kings

• Admin
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Posted Image

Bad news, Xbox fans: Your current collection ofXbox 360 games will not work on Microsoft’snew Xbox One, and the company’s used games policy is very unclear. The company finally took the wraps off its next-generation video game console on Tuesday and while there was plenty of good news to be had, there were also some some troubling announcements.

Wired reports that Xbox One games are installed to the console’s hard drive from the disks, not played from disks. Once installed, the game’s serial number is tied to the user’s Xbox Live account during the registration process. If another Xbox Live account tries to install and play the game, the console will prompt the new user to pay an additional fee to install and play the game.

Microsoft also confirmed that older Xbox 360 games will not be compatible with the new Xbox One console, which is more bad news for gamers. So if you’re planning to sell your old console to help pay for the One, you might as well sell all your old games along with it.

Microsoft did not announce pricing or a release date for the Xbox One, though the company did say it will launch this year.

#8 dwood

dwood

A-Lister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Once installed, the game’s serial number is tied to the user’s Xbox Live account during the registration process. If another Xbox Live account tries to install and play the game, the console will prompt the new user to pay an additional fee to install and play the game.

Wow, with a marketing strategy like this they could move 5, maybe 600 units during the first 5 years. Back to PlayStation it is. :angry:

#9 Philip C.

Philip C.

Technician

• VIP Members
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

I know that's not the actual image but if its close to that it looks awful.

The strategy will work like EA's online code system were if u buy a used game you need to pay £4.25or whatever it is for a code.

They've literally just lost loads of fans. What grew people to 360 was backwards compatability to enable smooth roll over.

Microsoft have gone a bit down hill. I usually refer to original xbox as xbox 1...very confusing now :P

#10 Philip C.

Philip C.

Technician

• VIP Members
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

good news though: gamertag and gamerscore carry over.

#11 KingOfMyWorld

KingOfMyWorld

The King of Kings

• Admin
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

That's the official image off the xbox website so it's going to be that or very close to it...also it was announced that while not required, Microsoft is pushing developers to join the Azure Cloud service so that games will run partially in the cloud making them faster and better...which would basically be like having the requirement for always on internet.

Here are some quotes from MS to Kotaku:

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

And here is the one about online connections:

And what of the persistent rumors that Xbox One games will be “always online” – that is, that single-player games would require a constant online connection to function? As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired — but “I hope they do.” So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.

And some pics...

Attached Files

#12 KCC

KCC

The All-Canadian Canadian

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

But PS4 will still play PS3 games, right?

Posted Image

#13 KingOfMyWorld

KingOfMyWorld

The King of Kings

• Admin
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

No, PS4 will use Sony's recently purchased onlive style GaiKai to play them through the cloud, assuming you've bought them from the Sony Store.

#14 KCC

KCC

The All-Canadian Canadian

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

No, PS4 will use Sony's recently purchased onlive style GaiKai to play them through the cloud, assuming you've bought them from the Sony Store.

I legit have no idea what any of this means.

Posted Image

#15 KingOfMyWorld

KingOfMyWorld

The King of Kings

• Admin
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

Sony bought a company called GaiKai which allows you to play games in the cloud, kind of like a flash game, so Sony is going to use that to allow you to play "select" PS3 titles you've bought through the Playstation Store on the PS4 on the GaiKai Cloud.

-----------------------------------

"There are many devices in your life that require the Internet to function," he said. "Xbox One is no different in that it requires, at some point in the beginning and at various times through its on state, to connect to our cloud and to our Internet. That is to deliver Xbox Live functionality, that is to deliver download content to you, that is to deliver some of the innovations around TV and entertainment that we showed today. But it doesn’t require it to be online all the time."

So how often does it check your connection? "Depends on the experience," Harrison said.

"For single-player games that don’t require connectivity to Xbox Live, you should be able to play those without interruption should your Internet connection go down. Blu-ray movies and other downloaded entertainment should be accessible when your Internet connection may be interrupted. But the device is fundamentally designed to be expanded and extended by the Internet as many devices are today."

And here's the bombshell:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believeit’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

So the system is built to work even if your Internet connection goes down, but you still have to be connected at least once a day to use it, according to Harrison. We're not sure exactly what would happen if you don't connect once per day—and that timeframe could change—but this doesn't sound good for anyone who was hoping to use Xbox One without an Internet connection.

----------------------

According to one report I read, they are already trying to backpedal on some things and I imagine by E3 things may be different...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users